In the context of marketing in English, a marketing campaign is a deliberate attempt at influencing and engaging a specific group of people, e.g. the market, through the use of information, persuasion or communication.
We will use the French word marketing in this post to refer to the same concept.
The marketing is a wide concept, with different methods and approaches. It includes many activities:
- Product marketing
- Product placement
- Customer relations
- Customer acquisition
- Public relations
- Digital marketing
- Sales promotion
- Social media marketing
- Direct marketing
- Promotion of events
In France, the main French-speaking countries, we can also distinguish between the marketing departments, in charge of developing and implementing marketing campaigns, and the marketing agencies, which are companies specialized in marketing.
The French marketing departments are subdivided into:
- The marketing mix, also known as the marketing mix model
- The sales promotion agency
- The promotional media company
- The media company
In France, marketing departments are mainly led by a marketing manager, and are subdivided into several teams, according to the marketing activity they are in charge of.
For example, the public relations agency (publicit ) is responsible for the promotion of a brand, while the sales promotion agency (sales promotion) is in charge of selling a product or service.
The French marketing departments are also subdivided into the following teams and departments:
- The marketing department
- The sales department
- The account department
- The customer service department
- The marketing automation department
- The marketing analytics department
- The marketing information system department
- The digital marketing department
- The marketing management department
The marketing departments and their activities are described in the following sections.
The marketing department
The marketing department is in charge of developing, executing and managing marketing campaigns.
The marketing department is usually led by a marketing manager, and is made up of several teams, according to their activity.
The marketing managers are responsible for establishing the marketing strategy and for setting the objectives for the marketing department.
Each team is in charge of specific objectives:
- The product team
- The media team
- The sales team
- The account team
- The customer service team
The marketing department is also responsible for organizing, coordinating and managing the work of the marketing departments, and of the other teams.
The marketing managers and their activities are described in the following sections.
The marketing manager
The marketing manager is the chief executive of the marketing department. In France, the marketing manager has a strong administrative and managerial role, although he or she has the power to make decisions.
The marketing manager is in charge of defining the strategic marketing objectives and of setting the marketing strategy.
The marketing manager has many responsibilities:
- To implement the marketing strategy
- To create a clear and specific vision
- To develop the marketing plan (if it is not part of the strategy)
- To manage the marketing department
- To develop the marketing program
- To create the budgets
- To manage the marketing activities (from planning to implementation)
The marketing managers are usually responsible for the marketing strategy, while the marketing managers are responsible for the implementation of the marketing strategy.
The marketing strategy is the document which sets out the objectives, the target audience, the activities to be carried out, the budget, the timeline and the measurement procedures.
The marketing managers should be fully aware of the marketing strategy, as this is the document that will be used to help the marketing department to plan, execute and manage the activities of the marketing department.
To define the marketing strategy effectively, the marketing manager must consider which marketing activities are the most useful in achieving the business objectives. This information is also called the marketing mix.
The marketing mix
The marketing mix is the combination of the activities of the marketing departments.
The marketing mix represents the marketing activities, and is composed of the following elements:
- Product: represents all the end products which are sold to the market
- Price: represent the profit margin, and the price elasticity
- Place: represents the geographical location of the products
- Promotion: represent the methods and activities used to promote the end product to the target market
- Distribution: represent how the products are distributed, for example if they are sold through a shop or by a catalogue
- Sales: represent the financial and organizational structure of the sales organization
The marketing mix can be divided into 4 parts:
- Product The end product
- Place The geographical location of the end product
- Promotion The methods and activities used to promote the end product to the target audience
- Distribution The organizational structure of the distribution process
The marketing manager, when defining the marketing strategy, must consider the marketing activities and their respective objectives.
To define the marketing strategy of the marketing department, the marketing managers must consider the marketing activities, and the marketing activities are divided into 4 parts:
- Product The product
- Place The geographical location of the product
- Promotion The methods and activities used to promote the product to the target customer
As for the activities, marketing managers must also consider the marketing objectives.
The marketing objectives are related to the marketing activities of the marketing team.
The marketing objectives are:
- The creation of demand
- The consumption of the product
- The development of brand awareness
- The creation of loyal customers
To define the marketing strategy, the marketing managers must consider the marketing activities, and the marketing activities are divided into 4 sections:
- Last point
The marketing strategy is a document that is used to set out the marketing objectives, the marketing activities and the marketing activities to be carried out.
The marketing objectives are divided into 5 parts:
- Product: represents a set of products that are sold by the marketing team
- Place: represents the geographical location of the product
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI