In the past, the most successful startups relied on a single person. They had one point of contact: the founder.
Since then, things have changed.
By using “big data”, startups that use market research to find out what their customers want and make improvements, have become the most successful startups ever.
One of the main reasons of that, is that there are now many different people working on one startup.
You can see that having a centralized communication between all the different areas of marketing (for example, a CEO, a CMO, a UX designer, and a product manager) is not the only key to success anymore. The key is to understand the needs of your customers and help them get their needs met.
This is where the head in marketing comes in.
The head in marketing
The head in marketing is the person, who is responsible for all the communication in marketing, to make sure that everything goes well.
The head in marketing is responsible for:
- Communicating with all the other departments in marketing, so that they can make sure everything goes well
- Monitoring the progress of all the marketing activities
In this post, I’ll explain the role of the head in marketing, and I’ll also give you some examples of how it can be done in different industries.
The head in marketing: an example of a startup
Let’s see how the head in marketing can be applied to a startup.
Startups are usually very small, so the marketing department is the one that’s most affected. It’s the department that has to do the most amount of work, so we can imagine that the marketing head will be the one most affected by changes in the company.
A company that has a startup marketing department, as mentioned above, will have:
- One key contact: the CEO
- One key contact: the CMO
- An external contact: the agency
- An external contact: the distributor
It’s the external contact that is usually responsible for the sales, the social channels or the website.
In some startups, it may be that the CEO is the key contact, while some other startups use the CMO as the key contact.
This is a great example of how to do it:
This is the structure of a startup that has a head in marketing:
This is how the head in marketing of a startup looks like:
- The role of a head in marketing
- The role of the key contact
- The role of the external contact
The role of the key contact
The key contact is the one, who is responsible for:
- Communicating with the CEO, the CMO and the agency
- Helping them understand the vision
- Helping them make decisions
The role of the external contact
The external contact is the one, who is responsible for:
- Making sure that everything is organized correctly
- Making sure that everything is in the correct place
- Making sure that everything is well integrated
The role of the CMO
The CMO is the CEO of the company, who is responsible for:
- Taking care of the marketing department
- Making decisions about the marketing department
The role of the agency
The agency is the one, who is responsible for:
- Organizing the budget for the marketing department
The role of the distributor
The distributor is the one, who markets your products to other people, so they can sell your products.
In a startup, the distributor will usually be the one, who sells the product, as it’s the one, who makes the most profit.
For example, in this startup, the distributor is the one, who sells the product:
This is how the role of the distributor looks like:
The role of the CEO
The CEO is the one, who is responsible for:
- Making decisions about the company as a whole
- Making sure that there is enough money for the company
- Taking care of all the other departments in the company
The role of the product manager
The product manager is the one, who is responsible for:
- Taking care of product planning
- Making decisions about product development and improving the product
- Getting the feedback from the customers
The role of the marketing manager
The marketing manager is the one, who is responsible for:
- Making sure the marketing team works properly
- Making sure everything is in the correct place
- Making sure everything is well integrated
How to do it?
Now, what do we have to do to apply to the head in marketing?
Well, first of all, we have to identify the role of the CEO, the CMO and the agency.
If we do that, we’ll have to figure out what the role of the key contact, the external contact, and the distributor is.
Next, we’ll have to figure out the role of the product manager, the marketing manager, and the head of marketing.
Now, we have everything to do to apply for the position of the head in marketing.
What to do next?
Well, the next step that we have to do is to talk with the CEO, the CMO, the agency, and the distributor.
The first step is to figure out what it is going to be like.
The second step is to talk with the marketing manager, and then the product manager, and then the head of marketing.
It’s very important to make sure that everyone understands what it is going to be:
- What the role of the head in marketing is going to be
- What the role of the key contact is going to be
- How the role of the external contacts is going to be
- What the role of the agency is going to be
- How the role of the distributor is going to be
The role of the head in marketing: an example of a business
Let’s see how it’s done in a business.
A business has one key contact, the CEO, the CMO, and the agency.
It also has a distributor, as well as an external contact, who is the one that markets the product.
It has a product manager, a marketing manager, and a head of marketing.
This is what the structure of the head in marketing looks like.
This is how the role looks like in a company.
Images by Freepik
Generated by AI